ContentGenerator.net Community forums: On Target? / Duckshoot - ContentGenerator.net Community forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

On Target? / Duckshoot

User is offline   Andrew Field Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

I've now developed the menu options further. In an attempt to make things as easy as possible the main screen appears which requires a click. You then select your game type:

1 player : 2 player : Team Challenge.

If SCORM is enabled, you'll just jump to the one player game options - this menu option will disappear.

1 and 2 player games are obvious, but the Team Challenge should be a good option to use in class. It was really something I thought of to add into the Hole in One game, but I think it will work well here too. The plan is that you'll enter a list of names and the players will be randomly called to answer a question and take a shot. I think it would work well, and would mean a way of randomly playing the game with a large number of players. Yet I need to figure out how best to decide the winner. The whole concept might not work as if you have more players than possible questions it wouldn't be feasible to win - then again it might be possible to then automatically team players up or something. I'd just quite like to include an alternative use of the game as the way it is currently setup offers real flexibility.

Anyway, after this screen, game options (name, skill level, target etc.) appear and you can then play.

There are additional clicks - rather than just selecting your game type and then options, but I think it is preferable as it is much more straightforward to use. When I've got it all working I'll upload a new demo.

Attached Image: monthly_12_2008/post-1-1230650064.png

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

Just noticed that it has been ages since I've updated this topic.

I have been working on this game for an extremely long time as I'm very keen to get it working well. I've experimented with many features for the 'bottle bonus' when you accidentally / deliberately hit a bottle - kept finding issues with it as I don't want the incentive to be too great. I've also been spending far too long on the menu system.

A few screenshots to show progress:
Attached Image: monthly_09_2009/post-1-1252788674.jpg
Large, highly visible title page - shows number of questions at top right.

Attached Image: monthly_09_2009/post-1-1252788682.jpg
Game options - 1, 2 and multi-player mode.

Attached Image: monthly_09_2009/post-1-1252788689.jpg
Instructions page - attempted to be as straightfoward as possible.

Attached Image: monthly_09_2009/post-1-1252788695.jpg
Main game, after getting a question correct.

Attached Image: monthly_09_2009/post-1-1252788702.jpg
Main game, having shot a bottle at the side.

This is the area causing current issues - with multiple options there is a real incentive to 'have a go' with your last shot. Thus I now plan to reduce the incentive - offering 2 negative options, miss a turn or lose all points plus one positive - gain ammo. I'm still thinking about the best way to do this though. Needs to be something random that could be good, but is more likely to cause trouble.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

I've now developed the 'bonus' section further - more coding still needed but I like the way this works now. If a player shoots a bottle during the game this 'bonus' is triggered - four of the options are negative, three are positive. The main game is paused while this bonus one appears. The bonus options scroll down rapidly - the player has to click to make it stop:

Attached Image: monthly_10_2009/post-1-1256723235.jpg

I've also changed the main font to improve the display of the game. It is a shame to lose the 'Western-style' font, but I think this new one is much better, making the game more appealing.

Attached Image: monthly_10_2009/post-1-1256724978.jpg

Attached Image: monthly_10_2009/post-1-1256724995.jpg

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

In the final update before I release a the latest beta version to play, do have a look at the new 'Game over' screen.

This shows what happens at the end of a 1 player game. It shows a range of dynamic statistics relating to the game:

Attached Image: monthly_10_2009/post-1-1256813051.jpg
  • The number of 'evil' and 'friendly' ducks / frogs - the aim of the game being to get as many evil ones as possible
  • A dynamic pie chart that builds on the screen in front of you displays the number of correct vs incorrect answers.
  • It shows the final percentage, which is the percentage of correct answer. This is the data used to pass to a LMS (e.g. Moodle) via SCORM
    • Not entirely sure about this - in other games I take account of the skill shown in the game - i.e. how many evil ducks / frogs you get - and the number of correct answers.
    • In previous games, the game %age thus reflects both the player skill + knowlege
    • Yet the %age passed to the LMS is just the number of questions
    • I'm undecided what is best for this game- I think it will be better to just show a percentage that is linked to knowledge, hence making the target setting more appropriate (see below)

• Underneath the percentage it also shows the player target - this reflects a percentage that the player sets as his / her target before starting the game.

Share this topic:
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users