ContentGenerator.net Community forums: Interactive Diagram Generator - ContentGenerator.net Community forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interactive Diagram Generator The second program! Rate Topic: -----

User is offline   Andrew Field Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:51 PM

Following the successful launch of the Penalty Shootout Generator, our second program - the Interactive Diagram Generator is soon to appear.

This allows you to generate your own versions of the Interactive Diagrams as shown on my main history website - see http://www.schoolhis...co.uk/diagrams/

A great deal of work has gone into creating the same userfriendly and accessible feeling on the Penalty Shootout Generator.

Features include:
  • Generate your own interactive diagrams in a matter of minutes.
  • You can save and load the diagram data
  • customise the initial colours of each individual box (useful for colour-targetted tasks e.g. fill in the blue box)
  • Switch the 'hint' buttons on or off
  • Upload your own logo
  • Add and customise additional buttons (useful to add a 'next' or 'previous' buttons to integrate the diagram into your learning materials)
  • Use the html generator feature to produce all the website code to upload a diagram online.

Images of the beta version are shown below:
Posted Image

Posted Image

More updates as I have them. :)

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:15 AM

I now have a version up and ready for testing. Please PM via this forum or use the contact form on the main website - http://www.contentge...net/contact.asp - for a trial of this beta version.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:53 AM

In a major development I've been able to develop a 'rich text' solution for the interactive diagrams. What this basically means is that the author (and indeed the user) of the diagram can format the text that they add. This can lead to more effective note taking using bold, italic, underline and colours.

See an early screenshot:
Posted Image

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:57 PM

Beta version 0.8 has now been produced. This allows the use of rich text (i.e. you choose the colours and can edit text to be bold, italic or underlined as you wish.

I am really pleased with this version and the Interactive Diagram Generator looks like being a release and update worthy of the Penalty Shootout release earlier this week. :)

Try out the rich text feature:

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:09 PM

I'm delighted to annouce that the major 'issue' with the Interactive diagrams has been solved. As with all the ContentGenerator.net products I always strive to improve the basic game or activity before releasing the generator program.

For the Interactive diagrams this led to me finding implementing a system that allows users to customise the text - changing text colour or formatting (as shown in the previous post).

However, this had led to a really irritating issue saving and editing diagrams. I believe I have now solved this problem by recoding the way the diagram works. Yet now I'm now exploring whether to add the ability to include hyperlinks in diagrams.

A working demonstration can be seen at http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/lessons/imp...ecruitment.html

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:18 PM

Interactive Diagram Beta 0.9 released for beta testing. The 'approaching finished' version has been given to those kind enough to try the software out.

It is nearly the finished version but there are still lots of final tweaks and improvements, just as with the Penalty Shootout Generator.

The produced diagrams now correctly handle the 'Rich Text' - dynamically saving and loading the user customisations without any issues. What I now want to improve is the actual generator interface, completing unfinished work that prevents formatting being saved within the actual program.

I will also add the ability to customise the diagrams - certainly upload a logo, but I also think it might be worth adding additional buttons and even the ability to customise the background colour of the activity.

Is very nearly ready. If anyone wants to try the beta version, please let me know via PM or e-mail.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:20 PM

Development continues! The diagrams are just a few days away from completion, as I have time....

They work perfectly apart from a a few minor issues
    [1] If a user doesn't select any colours, i.e. remains with the default colours, the diagram is produced and saved with all the background colours as black. This is just something I need to fix with the coding.
    [2] The new formatting boxes don't 'disappear' when the diagram is printed. They show up on the final printout.
    [3] The optional 'information' box showing instructions before the diagram is started needs to be activated as does a customisable 'next exercise' button.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:28 PM

As always seems to happen with me as I'm completing a new version I come up with some extra ideas...

I've fixed the colour issue and extending the coding so the 'reset colours' button puts the colours back to the original saved colours rather than the default blue.

More significantly though I'm now adding the ability to edit the 'Hover here for ideas' button. This is because the text is fine for some exercises, but if you are using the 'hover-over' feature for questions, the 'hover here for ideas' won't make sense.

I'm continuing work on it with the aim of releasing this as soon as possible.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:05 PM

Further update:

I've now nearly completed the new version of the Interactive Diagram. This is much more advanced but still not quite complete. You can try it out at http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/lessons/imp...ecruitment.html

There is an issue saving the background colours when you've added some rich text, so I need to sort that out. I also want to add in a 'Are you sure?' question when the user presses 'quit'.

In terms of the Interactive Diagram generator, this diagram does exactly what the ContentGenerator.net materials strive to do - enable you to customise the diagrams even more. You can now use an optional 'instructions' pop-up, customise the 'hover here for ideas', setup and prepare colour coding as well as fully customise the 'help' boxes.

Apologies for delays, but again this extra time is being well used :)

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:45 PM

I've now been able to fix the one major issue with the diagram. Partly this is my fault for trying to make it be even more 'advanced'. The diagram now correctly saves colours.

It has taken a long time and has been particularly tricky. I've updated the example at http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/lessons/imp...ecruitment.html

I now need to complete the other extras and then it will be finally finished.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:55 AM

Success!

After some major programming issues I've been able to move the Interactive Diagram generator onto something even more useful.

The only issue that some have encountered is when generated files are 'previewed'. As this was done using the Flash (.swf) player directly, some people encountered difficulties if their Flash player wasn't setup to do this.

I've now completely bypassed this issue by getting the Interactive Diagram generator to create a separate dynamic webpage (with all the appropriate code automatically added :) ). This has totally removed what had become a potentially complicated issue.

Final release very soon! Beta testing in progress. Hopefully - yet again - this delay shows my commitment to a quality product (rather that a lazy creator) :) .

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:01 PM

I am still working on the finished version. Having added more and more features to the program I have struggled to find the time to complete it to my satisfaction.

This will be done as soon as possible - pressures of this time of year - marking exam scripts and preparation for various concerts and presentations have restricted my non-school time considerably. Apologies.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:29 PM

The Interactive Diagram Generator is nearly ready. I have recoded both the diagram and the generator program so they work far more effectively. Much of the delay has been to ensure that these dynamic features work correctly - I am pleased to say they do! ;)

Screenshots can be seen below the list of features:

You now have much greater control over the interactive diagrams you generate you can:
  • Set your custom titles
  • Add your own help text
  • Fully customise your help text - colour, bold, italic underline - 'rich text'
  • Set the background colours for your help text boxes [the ones that appear when you hover over the 'help me' link]
  • Set the background colours for the blank boxes [the ones that appear by default when you load the diagram]
  • Set the diagram title, key question and author
  • Edit the 'Hover here for ideas' text to whatever you wish to use
  • Add a dynamic pop-up instruction box that appears when the diagram is first loaded.
  • Upload your own logo
  • Add your own hyperlink to your logo
  • Add your own hyperlink to the 'quit' button
  • Generator now has easy to use 'customise' section - divided into three sections covering colours, guidance text and logo / hyperlinks
  • Diagrams can be generated at any stage - from a bare diagram with just the titles to a fully developed multi-coloured version that has extensive help and guidance
  • Diagram now dynamically produces an accompanying webpage (.html) alongside the flash (.swf) file.
  • New additional menu system - with drop-down menu options as used in common software packages.
  • Interactive tutorials show you exactly how to get the most out of the program
What I am most pleased with is the fluid nature of the generator interface. You are fully in control and can develop an advanced web application with ease.

I am still completing the final developments but the screenshots below show the nearly finished 1.0 BETA version [N.B. Images do not show the high quality of the program - they have been 'optimised' so they load quicker]

Attached Image: post-1-1104363039.gif
Interactive Diagram generator main start screen

Attached Image: post-1-1104363030.gif
Add the key diagram details

Attached Image: post-1-1104363017.gif
Developing the help / guidance hover-over boxes

Attached Image: post-1-1104362986.gif
The customisation options screen

Attached Image: post-1-1104363002.gif
Editing the default box colours (how the diagram appears on the initial load)

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:19 PM

You can now watch an interactive demonstration of the final beta version. Have a look at http://www.contentge...iagram/demo.asp

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:25 AM

As I mentioned on this forum last week, I am still working on the finished release. There is a small issue with the final printing of completed Interactive Diagram documents and I'm also determined to make the produced diagrams fully accessible.

This means they will be accessible to screen readers and other similar technology for disabled computer users. After some research it is clear that this is essential for products such as this. I have two solutions in mind - either having an additional 'accessibility' button that will automatically take the user to a separate page that lists all the 'hints'. Alternatively I will enable any hint text to be read within the diagram. I favour the first option as I think it will make more sense to have an additional page that can then be easily copied and pasted.

Updates very soon.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:38 PM

I have now make the diagrams accessible for partially sighted or blind users. The diagram detects the presence of a screen reader and then forwards the user onto a page that allows the text to be read. I have also added an option to view this page from the main diagram.

I am working on completing the release of the Interactive Diagram generator today. Currently I am making the interface work more effectively - there are so many customisation options I want to keep things nice and clear.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:06 AM

Still not quite ready. I've redeveloped the customisation area further in the program so things are more accessible. I've fixed an image uploading issue, and have make countless things work more effectively.

These little things are taking time - but I'm determined to finish it.

Share this topic:
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users