ContentGenerator.net Community forums: HotSpot - ContentGenerator.net Community forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HotSpot

User is offline   Andrew Field Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

This is a quick activity created at the request of Gideon Williams @gideonwilliams.

Can you help? I have a spot the dangers safety poster & want students to click a la hotspot on each one & then get an indication/score thnks

Attached Image: monthly_02_2011/post-1-090340700 1298671994.png

Attached File  hotspot_v2.swf (248.27K)
Number of downloads: 394

View the activity within a Moodle course.

A hotspot activity where students have to click in the correct areas of the image. This is the first attempt so we might like to tweak the way the scoring works. Currently they get 10 'missed' clicks - if a click registers correct, it isn't counted. I did have it set so every click counted, but that meant if you got one wrong there was no point continuing.

Might be worth reducing the amount of incorrect clicks you are allowed to make it more challenging - perhaps just 5?

User is offline   Dave Stacey Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Customers

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

Great activity, great work in virtually no time. You really are a genius Mr F!

Honesty time...

It took me three goes, even with the ten clicks allowed, to find all ten, so I'm not sure that it needs to be made any easier.

Or maybe I'm just not safe to be let anywhere near a science lab!!!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:06 AM

Some further comments / suggestions

A super piece of work – some thoughts I had for development – not sure I think it needs scorming but…

- Show the correct answers at the end of the count so pupils can see their mistakes?
- During the task, add in a pop-up box that states what the error was if clicked on or a pop up box saying “no error” if they click elsewhere
- Have a splash screen at the end with some boring old content explaining the task – perhaps with some hyperlinks?

In terms of uses:

English – word wall of spellings -
MFL – etre and avoir
Maths – multiple / times tables to identify
Science – identifying parts of various systems eg digestive system

As I've also mentioned on Twitter the danger with turning this into a proper generator program is that I get bogged down in developing features / functionality and then it will need to be a pay-for program. I'm not keen to do that.

What I'll try to do is construct a basic generator tool that will allow you to setup 'HotSpot' areas on an imported image. I've been fiddling around with a way do allow people to draw their own hotspot areas and came up with this:

The idea here is that you will load an image into the background and then draw your required hotspots over the top. I imagine it would also be appropriate to have an optional short description which would might want to drag onto the hotspot too (i.e. so labelling can also take place).

Whereas the original example was hard-coded in place, I've now been able to adapt the method so an array is used to store the hotspot data. Thus if the above example is used to record where you want a hotspot, it should then be possible to translate this into a finished quiz.

So some major progress / development with this in a short time. I will certainly see what can be developed, but there is always the pressure of available time.

User is offline   woodrowbound Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

Andy, to achieved what you did, in the time that you did was phenomenol and I can see so many areas where this would be the perfect quiz type. If it can be launched in the format that you mentioned, I see absolutely no problem with using it. The only reason I suggested SCORM was the desire to get as much assessmnt data through Moodle as possible and encourage more of out staff to use the site!!

View PostAndrew Field, on 27 February 2011 - 12:06 AM, said:

Some further comments / suggestions

As I've also mentioned on Twitter the danger with turning this into a proper generator program is that I get bogged down in developing features / functionality and then it will need to be a pay-for program. I'm not keen to do that.

What I'll try to do is construct a basic generator tool that will allow you to setup 'HotSpot' areas on an imported image. I've been fiddling around with a way do allow people to draw their own hotspot areas and came up with this:

The idea here is that you will load an image into the background and then draw your required hotspots over the top. I imagine it would also be appropriate to have an optional short description which would might want to drag onto the hotspot too (i.e. so labelling can also take place).

Whereas the original example was hard-coded in place, I've now been able to adapt the method so an array is used to store the hotspot data. Thus if the above example is used to record where you want a hotspot, it should then be possible to translate this into a finished quiz.

So some major progress / development with this in a short time. I will certainly see what can be developed, but there is always the pressure of available time.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

Good point about the SCORM then - I'll do my best to make that happen.

I will see if I can turn the example hard coded one into a SCORM activity - I know exactly where you are coming from in terms of SCORM data. For some staff there needs to be added assessment data value and the SCORM tracking can be a real way in. Good thinking.

User is offline   sharnon007 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

Is this still a possibility for production?

;0)

Share this topic:
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users