ContentGenerator.net Community forums: Mac / Linux support via CrossOver - ContentGenerator.net Community forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac / Linux support via CrossOver

User is offline   Andrew Field Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

As regular ContentGenerator.net users are aware I've been very keen to get the cgen.net applications working on other non-Windows systems. As Mac users ourselves we've found Parallels to be an excellent solution but this does require that you own a licence to a Windows Operating System + own Parallels.

Richard Allaway (author of the excellent http://www.geographyalltheway.com/) contacted me this week, mentioning the tool he uses - CrossOver for Mac - http://www.codeweave...products/cxmac/

This is an affordable tool that makes use of the Open Source WINE solutions, effectively running Windows Applications on other Operating Systems.

Unfortunately he had tried to get cgen.net programs working and wasn't able to. I'm going to use this topic to track the efforts to get it working. It might not be possible, but we will make every effort.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Richard has been able to get the programs working - but the only thing that does it the .swf generation. Clearly the most important part.

With his help it has been clear how revolutionary the CrossOver software actually is - it is like a 'pro' version of Wine, which is what Linux users can use to get programs like Office working. Whereas Wine takes some significant setup and end-user manipulation, it looks like CrossOver is much more user friendly.

Whilst we cannot promise any solutions, this looks like the easiest way to get applications working on a Mac. Time will tell if it will support the complex .dll files that the cgen.net programs need.

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

After some quite complex fiddling it isn't looking good. I've been able to get Fling the Teacher working in the way Richard described - see image below:

Attached Image: monthly_06_2010/post-1-1276430118.png

However, the .swf isn't being produced. Normally when this is an issue, it relates to permissions with the .dll file. Through some complex Terminal work I've been able to get the fine into the Wine 'bottle' and, eventually, set the permissions so anyone can read, write or execute the file - see screenshot below:

Attached Image: monthly_06_2010/post-1-1276430136.png

The 'execute' permission is key as this means any program has the top level ability to use the library file. However, even with this the .swf file isn't produced.

:)

I will experiment further to see what is possible.

Share this topic:
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users